The gist of your problem is that the registrar resolves your host during
registration. This means that dynamic names won't work.

What you need, then, is some service that would mirror your domain, and
would supply the front end you need.

You can try "soa.grantiecanyon.com", if they are still up, but my
experience with them is that they suck. Personally, I belong to a group
that share the cost of colocating a whole server, and our DNS are all
there. You are invited to join, BTW.

Alternatively, you can make an arrangment with your ISP to keep you IP
static. It may cost you a bit extra over the subscription, but I know of
at least one person to do that (he uses actcom).

And for anyone else who hasn't noticed, yes, I am back to reading
linuxil.-)

                Shachar

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Tizmoeye wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:11:27 +0300 (IDT)
> From: Tizmoeye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: named problem...
>
> hello.
> i've got a big problem with named that i cant understand so maybe you
> can.. and it goes like that:
> i am running named on my personal box.
> i own a domain name that i registered by register.com.
>
> my connaction is cable 24/7 of tevel.. and as you know (or not) this is
> not a static ip. when i wanted to use my named server as the NS server for
> my domain i couldnt coz of the non-static ip..
> to get over this problem i registered a dynamic ip on dns2go (dyndns
> like.. ) to get a static host name.
> i went back to register.com and changed the domain name server to be the
> new host of my machine (the dns2go one).
> so now i got the same hostname all the time (dns2go) but the ip is
> changing now and then..
>
> i created the zone file for my domain and configured it all and though it
> is working nice and well untill someone told me he cant use this hostname
> so i checked things out and it finally hit me.. i am using meself has my
> name server so ofcourse this is working.. :)
>
> so the problem now is why the domain NS is not me ?

The world is going down for administrative reasons. Please log off.