Cedar Cox wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Eran Levy wrote:
>
>>No No. Im sorry. From my experience, knowledge and testings, I have got this:
>>When I have installed NT loader after installing Linux, Linux showed up in
>>the menu and I only had to choose it from the menu and press ENTER. Im not
>>telling this because "I heard it from...". I tested this and thats what I
>>have got.
>>Again, Its not regarding to other windows versions 95/98. They overwrite
>>your MBR and LILO is gone after installing them so I cant recommend this.

What about when updating kernels? What do you need to update? I would
also love to see the boot.ini that your computer created.

Note that this only applies to installing Linux before NT.

>windows/dos have the MBR the way it wants to.. all you have to do after
>you install windows (if you installed linux first) is go into fdisk and
>set your linux root partition boot flag (and remove it from any other
>partition).  I've never had any problems with this method.  Comments?

Actually, there are. If that's your approach, you'll find that you need
to change active partition every time you want to switch Linux/windows.
I, personally, do not feel comfertable with manually tweeking my
partition table. I know that some multi-boots do that automatically
(boot magic), and I'm still not sure how comfertable I am with that.

The beuty of using the NT boot manager is that, on one hand, you don't
need to install any program beyond those already installed on your
system, and on the other hand, you don't need to touch your partition
table every time you want a different boot. The only thing is how to
update the boot manager every time you recompile. My favourite:
Add to boot.ini
C:\BOOTSECT.LIN="Linux"

from linux (assuming C:\ is mounted as /mnt/C), do
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/C/BOOTSECT.LIN bs=512 count=1

and in lilo.conf, change root to read
root=/mnt/C/BOOTSECT.LIN

 From there on - continue as usual.

If you cannot write to your NT root from linux (NTFS), bootpart is the
best way to go.

            Shachar