Thanks for the work done by various members of the Linux-IL mailing list
in the past and for the miniscule effort they put answering my question,
the problem was solved.

 - - - - - - - - - -

It was the tcpmss problem, which was discussed by Avishai (who referred me
to past messages by him).
Sagi Bashari pointed out this fact, too.

 - - -

Tsafrir Cohen asked if this could be an ISP problem.  No, it wasn't.  We
installed a sacrificial Windows 2000 installation, for testing the ADSL
connection, and it worked flawlessly when the PC was connected directly
to the ADSL modem (of course, the LAN was disconnected from this computer
during the test, as no firewall was activated on this PC).

 - - -

Since we use Linux 2.2.* kernel, we had to modify the MTU of machines in
the network, and this meant fiddling with rc.local, MS-Windows NT registry
and MS-Windows 2000 registry.

Is there a way for lazy^h^h^h^hbusy sysadmins to fix it in the gateway
machine using kernel 2.2.* and ipchains?

 - - -

Mulix suggested that we check if ecn is enabled.  At the moment, this is
irrelevant as the setup is working.

I congratulate him for having the --quirks patch accpeted to cvs pptp last
night, even though it is neither necessary nor harmful in setups involving
the Alcatel's Speed Touch HOME ADSL modem (an Ethernet modem, working
with regular phone lines).

 - - -

While he didn't actually offer a quick and immediate solution to the
problem, Geoffrey S.  Mendelson suggested some security enhancements, such
as limiting Web access to a Web proxy server running on the gateway
machine and using SOCKS.  What is the opinion of other list members about
those security provisions?  Would you install such a setup in your home
network?

We do have two Ethernet cards in the gateway PC - one for communication
with the ADSL modem, the other - for communicating with the rest of the
computers.
                                             --- Omer
There is no IGLU Cabal.  Problems do get solved even without such a formal
organization.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html