On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> > > Anyway, one education official was interviewed for the paper, and what suprised
> > > me the most was that he said that one of the worst things about your school's
> > > computers being stolen is that the insurance only covers hardware, not
> > > software, and they end up needing to get money to buy all the software again!
> > > One would assume that software companies would simply allow you to reinstall
> > > the same software on replacement computers (the installation CDs can be kept
> > > in a seperate safe place), without paying again - but apparently they refuse
> > > to allow that!
> >
> > This has nothing to do with the software companies. A software company has
> > no problem witha register user reinstalling without paying for another
> > license.
> > It's the "technicians" installing it who provide the mis-information, and
> > the customer not understanding that they are paying for a license to use
> > the software rather than for transfer of ownership of anything.
>
> I don't think you are correct. Remember, the school system is a big system,
> with a lot of money, lawyers, and so on. If "reinstalling" was legal they
> would have already figured it out, and refuse to pay the large sums of wasted
> money (which they cry about in the paper) to the "technicians".

Nadav,
I am correct, I followed the url given by someone else on this thread who
also though I was wrong, and found there the following link (to a 762k
rtf file):

http://www.microsoft.com/israel/piracy/license_nov98.rtf

It says explicitly that it's ok to buy just one set of installation disks,
and any number of licenses (license+disk costs more than just the
license), as long as the number of installations does not exceed the
number of licenses.

Education licenses are cheaper, and they are also non-transeferable to
non-educational organizations, in contrast with a private license, which
is trasnferable.

A non-transferable OEM license is for the OS only, so for the OS you would
be right, they need to buy another copy. There si no such restriction for
application.
For office applications, the primay user may install an additional copy,
on his/her own private laptop.

So having actually read MS's documentation on this:
1. For the OS itself - you were right.
2. For office applications - I was right.

and that whole no-insurance for software thing is a load of BS.

Thanks,
Uri
http://translation.israel.net