Oops! How could I forget about the partition table?! mea culpa. Let's
hope Daniel hasn't done this and trashed it ..

Daniel, I ALWAYS save a copy of the boot sector on a floppy before
mucking around like this. You should, too.

Sometimes dd is the only thing that works. My home machine uses
the Win2K bootloader to load either Win2K, RH7.1 or Win98. I
did it by "installing" each one, carefully stripping the MBR using
dd and copying it (as a file) to my Win2K drive. I then restored
my Win2K MBR (so that win2k would boot) and edited boot.ini in
the usual way.

J.

Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:

> Hi
>
> I havn't read the entire message, but I quickly reply:
> Do not do 'dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/hdc bs=512 count=1' unless you know
> _very_well_ what you are doing. You will erase your partition
> table.
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:57:55AM +0200, Jeremy Hoyland wrote:
> > Daniel,
> > IIRC I have managed to boot without problems from /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc
> > etc.
> > Unless someone introduced a new limitation into lilo! Anyway, here are a
> > few
> > ideas.
> >
> > 1. The primary "slot"? I think you mean first IDE slot, no? In that
> > case,
> > you want to wire your disk as primary for the second IDE slot. This is
> > called /dev/hdc. I have booted REALLY old PCs from /dev/hdc with lilo.
> > Make sure your BIOS can boot from the second slot (may require tweaking
> > in the BIOS setup screens).
> > boot=/dev/hdc
> >
> > NB, to change fstab to reflect this, boot from a CD, mount the root
> > partition and edit fstab.
> >
> > 2. The bios=0x80 trick is VERY chicken and egg. Try above first.
> >
> > 3. If you (eventually) fall back on a floppy boot, an interesting idea
> > (that works) is to write the boot sector to a partition and not to the
> > MBR. use boot=/dev/hdc5. Now, strip this boot sector directly onto a
> > floppy, like this:
> > dd if=/dev/hdc5 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
> > Now, the ONLY thing that is read from the floppy is the boot sector.
> > Everything else comes from the hard disk, so there's almost no speed
> > penalty for booting from the floppy :-)
> >
> > You can use this trick to try lots of different lilo configurations
> > without affecting your hard disk. Once you get it to work, strip the
> > boot sector back to the MBR with
> > dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/hdc bs=512 count=1

WARNING! WARNING! THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PARTITION TABLE!

         ______
        /_____/\