Hi!

I have A SCSI CDRW on a regular Intell system with SuSE 7.3. I did the text mode
install with yast1 from diskette. After the inital boot, it asks if you have any
modules to install. Well, you sure do. Say yes, and you are asked to use the
second diskette to select modules for your SCSI peripherals. At the end of the
day, it creates an initrd image with these things built in so you can see them
after a normal boot (otherwise you have to insmod everything by hand!). Most of
this stuff is covered in the supplied Reference Manual. One "gotcha": mkinitrd
is NOT supplied with SuSE. They have there own thing called mk_initrd which does
  much the same thing. I found 7.1 and 7.3 to be quite different from 7.0 in the
way it does this stuff - probably because of the move from the 2.2.x to the
2.4.x kernels.

Bottom line is that once you have preselected the modules for your SCSI CDR, you
can then use it for the rest of the install.

Regards,

DAF