MSNBC is a joint Microsoft NBC thing, I don't know exactly who owns which
part.

As for Microsoft donation, there ar ea number of aspects for this. In the
US, charitable donations are tax deductible. MS had a charity program for
several years, where it gives a dollar for every dollar donated by an
employee through its program.
It addition for having lower prices for educational institutions,
sometimes it donates computers+software to schools  - good for schools,
they get it cheap, good for MS - more people associate computer with
Windows (Apple did this back in the 80s

Recently it offered to donate computers and software
worth (some very large sum) as part of its settlement. There is/was an
appeal against this by several states, claiming that this would just put
MS software in more schools, and would sort of defeat the point of the
anti-trust trial (not that those states offered an alternative, they
weren't sending out armies of installers with linux distros anywhere...)

Thanks,
Uri
http://translation.israel.net