On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 03:34:43PM +0200, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

> > > Is there a utility to measure memory usage of a process,
> > preferably proken into
> > > static/stack/heap? The man page of GNU `time' suggests that it
> > should do the
> > > trick, but running
> > >   /usr/bin/time myprog
> > > always reports 0 memory usage.
> >
> > In addition to Nadav's reply, and not a direct answer to yours:
> > In VMS, and some BSDs, you can press <Ctrl><T> and get a status line
> > about the current process. I started implementing this for Linux,
> > but didn't continue very much due to lack of interest (only 2-3
> > people replied to mails to lkml, linux-serial, linuxconsole-dev).
> > 'started' means it works, and caused no problems to me (yet?),
> > but you can't e.g. control it with stty. If interested, look at
> > <http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/ctrl-t>. It does work with 2.4.7,
> > but I didn't check newer kernels.
> > If I see interest in this forum, maybe I'll invest more time in this.
>
> A variant already exists in the Linux kernel. If you compile your kernel with magic
>sysrq key and didn't disable it via the proc interface (like some versions of Redhat
>do) you can press Alt+Shit+SysRq plus a key to get a lot of functions. if the key is
>"x" you'll get a menu of all possible keys. One of them gives out memory status of
>all proccess.

I know and love SysRq, but it's not a substitute. It doesn't work
remotely (telnet/ssh), it gives too much output unless you're in
an emergency, it's Linux-specific. Ctrl-T is a semi-standard, and
outputs only one line (at least on VMS, the BSDs I checked, and
with my patch), and is exactly the thing I wanted to press while
doing e.g. 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb' to copy a whole disk
to have a progress indicator.

> Gilad.
>

> --
> Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Tel: +972(9)9717330 | Fax: +972(9)9717334   | Cel: +972(54)756701
> Kagoor Networks ltd | http://www.kagoor.com |

        Didi