On Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Iftach Hyams wrote about "Line diff":
> Is there a utility that diff single line, something like :
>
> "This is line 1", "This is Line 2 !" will result with
>
> This is line 1
>         R    R++
>         L    2 !

Emacs's (or Xemacs's) "ediff" does something similar to this (among all the
other useful things it does): after doing a regular "diff" it further looks
for and highlights the actuall differences in that block. It's very nice and
very useful.

Another very useful feature of ediff, if I already mentioned it, is a very
convenient method for merging differences between two files.

For the (X)Emacs illiterates, to use ediff all you need to is to open XEmacs
and use the menubar's Tool -> Compare -> Two Files (the menus in Emacs
might be different, I didn't check). It's also possible to compare two
preloaded files with Tool -> Compare -> Two Buffers. There are many other
possibilities, which you'll have to discover on your own (or read the docs).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Monday, Apr 8 2002, 26 Nisan 5762
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Unlike Microsoft, a restaurant will give