Hi,

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 11:46:46AM +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> This may sound odd at first, and useless later, but I would like to add some
> files to a iso9660 filesystem.
>
> To be more exact, I have an iso of a CD and would like to update it with my own
> stuff. I tried to loop-mount it with rw option and even have
>
> /c/redhat/valhalla-i386-disc3.iso on /rh73/d3 type iso9660 (rw,loop=/dev/loop2)
>
> in my mount output. However, when I try to write inside /rh73/d3 I keep getting
> "Read-only file system" message.
>
> I think I could copy all the files from the iso, and my own, and rebuild the
> whole bunch, but I just don't like the idea.

But this seems to me to be the only clean way.
Of course, it might won't work for you at all (e.g. if the image is of
a bootable CD which you can't create yourself, such as an NT installation
CD).

> Any other suggestions? Am I missing a fundamental of loop/iso9660 that prevents
> this from happening?

Yes. Without being an iso9660 expert, as I understand, you will have to
move around a lot of things to update an iso image. What you *can* do,
which might or might not help you, is create another session, to be
burned after the image you already have. See the options '-C' and '-M'
of mkisofs. Note, I havn't tried this myself.

You might also find UDF (google) interesting. It's writable, is the
standard for DVD, I think works automagically in recent windows versions,
and seems to be in stable beta state in linux. I never tried it myself,
even readonly.

Good luck, and I think many would like to hear your experience when
you have conclusions.

> Dan.

        Didi