Hi,

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 11:03:18PM +0200, Oleg Kobets wrote:
> OK.
>
> First thanks for the replies. I want to clarify that I am not the legal
> owner
> (ie. never BOUGHT it) of this Alpha. I got it from a friend that got it from
> ..?
>
> Therefore I am not aligible to Compaq support. (Already spoke with them)

But I think you _can_ buy a "hobbyist's license" for Tru64 for a small
fee (not very small though - I think $100).

> And I really wanna replace my server with this baby.
> 266Mhz Alpha = ~700Mhz PC

This, of course, depends on your application. There are types of
computations for which a 266Mhz Alpha will be slower than even a
266Mhz Pentium II.

> The only trouble is, I have no idea how to install the OS. I mean, ARC (the
> alpha bios) gives me the option to install NT and that's it. I don't know
> how to boot from cdrom, therefore I can't install Linux/Unix on it.
>
> Anyone ideas ?

There are many possible starting points, but I hope all you need is
'Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 For Alpha' at
<ftp://ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-alpha/current/doc>
(but do try to find a mirror - note that not all mirrors mirror alpha).

If you do search and read a bit and do not even manage to boot linux
somehow (you might try floppy or ethernet if CD doesn't work),
do ask on the list, or on some debian-alpha list. It can be tricky.

BTW: An Alpha does not automatically arrive with a Unix license.
It can come with NT or VMS (and a combination - even Dual-booting)
too. I am almost sure, though, that you can't purchase an alpha
without some license, so the original owner might be able to give
you the license. You might even play a bit with VMS. From the Jargon
File:
"VMS /V-M-S/ n. {DEC}'s proprietary operating system for its VAX
minicomputer; one of the seven or so environments that loom largest in
hacker folklore. Many Unix fans generously concede that VMS would
probably be the hacker's favorite commercial OS if Unix didn't exist;
though true, this makes VMS fans furious. ..."
If you are a real OS fan, you can also try hurd
(<http://hurd-alpha.sourceforge.net/>; I haven't tried) and netbsd
(<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/>; also haven't tried this one).

Also note, that Alpha, however well-engineered, is dying.
VMS will be ported (is being ported?) to Itanium, and Tru64 Unix
will probably be replaced with Linux or unified with HP/UX.
Those who like the architecture might want to read the very nice
comparison to f-cpu at <http://www.f-cpu.org/alpha_vs_f-cpu.txt>.

Anyway, enjoy playing.

        Didi