On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:45:48AM +0300, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
>
> > I know one thing for sure.
> >
> > ATA 100 added to my system at least 20% speed, and it shows on the
> > benchmarks.
> >
> > I had problem with my ATA100 so i connected the HD to the ATA66 ide and i
> > noticed huge decrease in the performance on WIN98.
>
> Which ATA66 controller did you use? Some ATA66 controllers (specifically
> VIA southbridges) are just poor performers. I am sure your disk does not
> sustain anywhere near 66MB/s.

And, BTW, can anyone give hard numbers? I made it a habbit to run zcav
(from bonnie) on new machines we get here. For anyone interested, the
collected results are at
<http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/disk-speed-2002-08-16.tar.gz> (140KB).
Some of this is very interesting.
Also, happened in 2 different machines: having the IDE cable tightly
folded caused the machine to not work in UDMA, with _very_ bad performance
(e.g. 2MB/s vs 25MB/s with the cable loosened).

        Didi