On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:04:22AM +0300, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > A) wouldn't a 486 be good enough as a Linux fax server?
> > (I guess your problem is there are no ISA slots on today's boards)
>
> Yes, but 486 got more chances if being broken, really depends on your luck (I
> had to replace four 486 boards few years ago in a period of 8 months)
>
> > B) you could buy a used P-II board (or a complete machine) for real
> > cheap
>
> Anyone sells one?

  Have you looked at plonter bargain corner ('Pinat Hameziot' or
whatever they call it)? Not sure if they got there a P-II and how
cheap it will be but perhaps they do.
  I am quite sure they are also selling there new 486 boards. IIRC you
can get one for 17 NIS, and they are saying it is new. Yet I believe
that it is a bare board only, no processor or ram.

  What about those Internet fax servers? I mean those accounts where
you can get/send fax via the net? I hardly looked at these services and
I don't remember what exactly do they offer and what are the terms of
use but maybe it suits you.

Are you willing to pay for 28.8 external modem? How much?

> > C) perhaps it's a hard-drive failure and not a mo-bo problem?
>
> No, 3 hard drives, all same problems, power supply replaced 3 times.
>
> > D) if it is a mo-bo problem, maybe an ISA IDE controller would solve the
> > problem disable the on-board one? (I have some I was going to throw away
> > - let me know if you need it) (P.S. try disabling the primary IDE
> > controller and using ONLY the secondary (irq 15))
>
> Ok, I'll think about it.
>
> > E) If its only a fax server perhaps you could run some diskette / cd
> > distro that loads up to a ram drive.. (How much ram do you have there?)?
>
> 128. diskette/cd distro won't help as it's also my web and mail server.
>
> > I'll let you know if I think of anything else...
> > These are just the ideas that popped up now.
>
> Those cheap boards today (like from VIA etc) are really attractive, it's the
> DAMN Linux driver that doesn't support the fax stuff :(
>
> Hetz

    Shaul Karl, [EMAIL PROTECTED] e t