On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 11:13:09PM +0300, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 09:27:18PM +0300, Guy Cohen wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 08:48:35PM +0200, e-tie wrote:
> > > Have we forgot the lost art of RTFMing?
> > [snip]
> > > On security discussions...got a spare 5 years?
> >
> > You couldn't be more right. The art of mailing list is slowly dying.
> > people who spend 5 and more years investigating unix want to get payed
> > and are sick and tired of not finding a job because a potential employer
> > could just send a question to the mailing list and get the answer he
> > *should* pay for.
>
> I'll say it gently: the service a consultant provides should not be
> equivalent to an answer on a mailing list. If it is, said consultant
> is doing it wrong...

I think the main difference is that ML answers are given late at night,
with late-at-night moods (and tiredness), for better or worse :-).

> ObLinux: how do I share easily an entire machine's hard disk with
> other machines? NFS sharing / led to all sorts of nastiness. Pointers
> to FMs welcome.

Can you give more details? What is the exact need? For example,
I run some machines with nfsroot, so exporting their *physical*
disk is trivial. Do you refer to a physical disk, all the local
partitions, all mounted FSs (including /proc, nfs)?

What problems did NFS exporting / cause?

Did you try the usermode nfs server? (from
<ftp://linux.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/linux/people/okir>.
Not maintained for a long time, but still might be useful).

Did mount --bind somewhere and NFS exporting it didn't work either?
Note I didn't try this myself, but writing this answer makes me
want to try (for diskless machines' server - I currently do not
share its "/").

> --
> Muli Ben-Yehuda
> syscalltrack hacker-at-large