On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:42:18AM +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> I recall that a while ago, there has been a discussion in the subject.
> I'm afraid I failed to find the thread, and anyways - maybe things have changed.
>
> So - I consider to wire-up a home for ethernet and telephony.
>
> * Where should I buy the cabels and sockets? (Tel Aviv, Haifa, and between)

I got a recommendation for argencom (they do not have a website,
but a google search does find them). I bought there a cable, RJ45
connectors, and a presser.

> * How much should I pay?

They had (then) either a 100 meter 4 wire UTP for 200 NIS (I think),
or 8 wire STP for something like 2.5 NIS/meter. The presser was
something like 70-80 NIS. An RJ45 connector was 2 NIS (quite expensive,
try to be careful and accurate when you press them. I only lost one
for bad work, luckily).

Just a few weeks after I bought that, there was this thread you talked
about, and someone said RadioShack (in Kanyon Ayalon) have 100 meter
for 100 NIS. Well, I checked it, and I think it was 100 *feet* for
100 NIS. That is, a bit more expensive (but still much less than the
regular price you'll pay in a local computer shop for a made-by-them
cable, around 10 NIS/meter usually).

> * Any good ideas how to use the same cable (NOT the same twised pair) for phone
>   line?

Not that I know of. But if you already invest the time and energy,
why not put in another cable? Much less problems in the future, IMHO.
Most of the cost (when you pay for such things) is for the work, not
for the cables. It will take you at least few hours, maybe days, to
wire your house.