Actually, in this case, /dev/hdd IS hd2, because GRUB does not count hdb
(because it is a CD burner, not a hard drive). (So actually, the first
part of what you wrote is correct--hd2 IS the 3rd hard disk, which in my
case is /dev/hdd.)

Thanks for the input (and to Noam), but in the meantime I found the
solution to the problem. I just ran grub-install, and it worked fine.

I guess there are some cases that the Gentoo install instructions do not
cover...

(Now I just have to get my Zoom Lucent winmodem working... It works OK
under Redhat though, so I am hopeful.)

Thanks again,

Martin Polley
Technical Communicator