I'm a little bit confused about how to set timezone in Linux computer (RH).

There is /etc/timezone file, /etc/localtime file, and TZ environment variable.
Ok, /etc/localtime I set to be file compiled with zic utility.

What about /etc/timezone and environment variable ? Why do we need them at all ?

Why in one computer timezone value received from gettimeofday() or from ftime()
is -180 and on other (same /etc/localtime, /etc/timezone and TZ) its 0 ??

How can I update time with ntpdate utility (I can not afford ntpd)  - so the
computer time (saved in UTC) will be updated ?

                        Thanks, Michael.