On Monday 14 October 2002 12:37, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What would be the way to backup an entire system ?
>
> I have a server which I need too backup, a complete
> backup setups, *-conf, data, everything and then to
> easily rebuild the entire server back from scratch.
>
> Would it be enough to copy the entire file system on
> to DVDs, Tape etc. and then reinstall Linux and copy
> the entire file system back in or do I need a tool
> like "Ghost" ?

You don't ** have ** to have a software like ghost to do it. As long as you
keep symbolic links symbolic, device files as device files and the
permissions then you can copy the entire system to a new disk and that disk
will be able to function as an operating system.

A few issues:
0. When trying to revive a system from backup you will have to rerun your
lilo (if you are using lilo). If you are using grub then you are better off
since if the path to your kernel didn't change you will still be able to boot
using the old MBR. When using lilo you will *** HAVE *** to rerun lilo (the
lilo MBR contains absolute location (in terms of disk physical attributes) of
the kernel which has probably changed....).
1. There is no need to backup the system itself over and over. If you define
a strict policy of separation between the program/data that you
install/collect and the system installed programs/data then you can only
backup your data (will save a lot of useless backup space). Also keeping all
RPMS/.debs that you upgraded on the side is a good practice.
2. There are many backup packages for linux out there. Pick one. I like
amanda because it(she ?!?) sends nice emails...:). Most of these know how to
preserve all relevant file system information. If you are using more modern
file systems with extra info (like access control lists etc...) then pick a
backup software that knows how to handle those. These issues are more tricky
and you'll have to check for every feature seperately. I advise you not to
use those features unless you really need those since backup software support
for those is still in the making in some backup packages.

Cheers,
        Mark