On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 18:18, Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I noticed my web server is extremely busy so I ran 'top' and sow 4 tar
> process where running in the background under 'nobody'
>
> I killed them and start to look around in my logs but vile :(
>
> any ideas ? ( its not cron )

Yes - congratulations! your box has most likely been  rooted.

Your log files have been edited. Your 'ps', 'netstat' 'login', 'less'
and zillion other binaries have been replaced with trojaned copies
programed to not show you exactly that which you are looking for.

Your best bet is to disconnect the computer from the network, boot using
a floppy and take whatever *data* files you might need. *DO NOT* copy or
run any executable. Format HD and reinstall OS, and make sure to apply
all the latest patches etc...

I know it sucks. Such is life.

Gilad.

--