man gcc gives :
-fshort-enums
             Allocate to an enum type only as many bytes  as  it
             needs  for  the  declared range of possible values.
             Specifically, the enum type will be  equivalent  to
             the smallest integer type which has enough room.

if on PPC "char" is 8-bit, then gcc should produce 8-bit enums.
else AFAIUnderstand this is a bug.

But by all means, please try and report.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you're mistaken. My PPC box is at home so I can't test
this, but I'm pretty sure that it will make all the enums equal to type "short",
and there is NO connection between being a "short" and being "16-bit". The only
restriction on short is that sizeof(short)<=sizeof(int)<=sizeof(long).

Herouth

--
-- regards

+ Guy Baruch , Plasma Laboratory, Weizmann Institue.
+ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+ phone: 972-8-934-2211

They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.

-- English folk poem, circa 1764
	http://bostonreview.mit.edu/BR27.3/bollier.html