On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:27:36PM +0200, shlomo solomon wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could explain the **philosophy** of the contrib
> directory on a Mandrake mirror. More specifically, after installing MDK 9.0,
> I noticed that AbiWord is no longer in the distro. After looking around, I
> found it, and lots of other packages in the contrib directory on one of the
> mirrors.
>
> Aside from saving disk space (but they could always add another iso to the
> download set), why are some packages in contrib and not in the distribution?

  Due to licensing issues, perhaps with some other packages that the
package under question is interacting with? I would explore the Mandrake
site more carefully if I was interested in the exact reasons.
  What will be easier for me is to quote why Debian has a contrib
directory. It could be that the reasons are somewhat similar.

Quoting the Debian policy:

(DFSG = Debian Free Software Guidelines)

2.1.3. The contrib section
--------------------------

     Every package in _contrib_ and _non-US/contrib_ must comply with the
     DFSG.

     In addition, the packages in _contrib_ and _non-US/contrib_
        * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
        * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

     Furthermore, packages in _contrib_ must not require a package in a
     _non-US_ section for compilation or execution.

     Examples of packages which would be included in _contrib_ or
     _non-US/contrib_ are:
        * free packages which require _contrib_, _non-free_ packages or
          packages which are not in our archive at all for compilation or
          execution, and
        * wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free
          programs.

--

    Shaul Karl, [EMAIL PROTECTED] e t