On 23 Dec 2002, Meir Michanie wrote:

> I remember visiting the GNU site and getting lost there.
> I was searching for the guide: how to register a program as opensource
> GPL license.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer

GPL is a license: it details what right exactly other people have with
a code (or whatever). But before you can license it to anybody, you have
to establish the fact that it is yours to give/control: you have to state
clearly that you are the copyrights owner.

(The hebrew term: "Zchuyot Yotsrim", "creators rights", is actually a
better name)

> I am sure that it is more that just adding a comment on the sources.

You can also rip-off code from a number of other sources of available
codes, where the license forbids you to ("shared source", anybody).

Assuming I try to take code from your project. If I take it to a GPL-ed
project, there is no problem. So assume I want to use it in a non-GPL-ed
project.

As long as the project is entriely in-house, it is still legal. So again,
lets assume that there is at least aresonable chance that the project will
be used outside.

Technically nothing stops me from using your code. However some day
someone may notice strange a coinsidental similarity of the two projects.
Be it by some strange functional similarity or maybe part of the code
slipped out. Or maybe someone I work with doesn't like me. (Or maybe the
BSA is after me, if we follow that line...).

Anyway, in that case there are a number of options:

* We (you and I) may settle violation by me releasing part of my code
  under the GPL (this is the FSF's favorite)

* We may settle this by me stopping to distribute part of my code

* On the worst case, I have violated your usage license, and you have
  grounds to sue me. I can't think of substantial damages, but maybe in
  specific cases there will be.

(I've heard numerous times that the GPL is full of legal holes. But I'm
not sure someone would take that chance)

So once you have established your right on the code, it would probably be
risky for anybody else to use it in violation of your license.

> any pirate can rip it off, register the software and then take me to
> court saying that I stole his code.

So you have to have some evidence that you have released it earlier. Logs
of your site, tarbals that others have downloaded, etc. may help.
SourceForge and similar sites give a great facility to provide you with
proofs.

I don't figure anybody will take the chance.

Anyway, there is a well-established regulation on copyrights. The issue
here is who holds the copyrights.

> at the other hand, how do you stop stupid ppl from registering garbage?

Nothing. The internet is full of garbage. Some of it even makes it into
human-edited sites.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]