Shoshannah Forbes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> A newbie question: when attempting to install a large application
> (OpenOffice) it refused due to "low disk space".
>
> Is there any utility out there that can help me figure out what is
> using all my HD space and what can be removed safely, without making a
> mess?

Try du(1) for the first part (who is the hog?). As for the second part
(what is safe to remove) sane systems do not assume that they are
smarter than you. Besides, it may depend on the partitioning of your
disk. It may be that you are trying to install OO in, say, your root
partition which is close to saturated, but /usr/local or /opt or
whatever may have enough space. And, of course, it may be that
/usr/local and /opt are in your root partition, depending on what you
chose at install time.

Look around your HD with du(1), see what's going on. Maybe you can
archive away a few GB of old mail or images or build directories for
software that you downloaded, compiled, and installed already.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"There is nothing more practical than idealism."