Gabor Szabo wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Nadav Har'El wrote:

(Oh, and Gabor, is my guess even correct? Do you have any D-state processes?)

sorry for not responding earlier but only now I could check it on that machine and it seems to be the right answer I have now 2 processes in the D state and 3-4 in the DN state (man sais N=low priority) all DNs are updatedb processes.

So if I understand correctly this is not a real problem with the machine,
only the reporting is strange.

No. There is a problem. Updatedb, which updates the slocate dababase, is getting stuck somewhere (maybe a circular symbolic link or some other file system anomaly). So it runs, gets stuck, then runs again... and again it gets stuck, until after a couple of days it brings your machine to its knees.

Kill the updatedb processes and try to run it with the -v flag to see why it's getting stuck.

Hope this helps,

Henry