Quoth Mark Veltzer on Wed, Jan 15, 2003:
> As for Linus: I do not consider a person who had the nerve to write an
> operating system from scratch and license it under the GPL a traitor. A hero
> hits much closer to home.

Come on.  Writing Linux is not a political issue.  He may be a
good programmer, a charismatic leader, a competent manager, a
successful PR person, whatever, but calling him a hero seems to
be an overshoot.

> Licensing software under GPL and not charging for it (which are two separate
> issues) is like giving a gift to the world .

Indeed, it was a very kind thing to do.  However, he was not the
only one, and not even a first one.  Such free projects as GNU,
the X Window System, BSD (which, BTW, was a mature running OS
without proprietary AT&T code by the time Linus started writing
Linux) and countless others existed long before Linux.

> I have been using this gift from
> Linus on my machines for almost a decade. This gift is also one which can not
> be taken back - this means that Linus has no power over his users except
> being a bright developer who is the right person to run the Linux kernel
> project. If only the world had a 100 more traitors like him!!!

But we do.

Vadik.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick
to anger.