Stallman gave the example of "Linux" distributions that include
    non-free software (such as Netscape and Oracle to use his
    examples) and call them value-added software, and objects! To him,
    these are "freedom-dereased software", not "value-added software".

I call them "freedom-subtracted" packages, because if you are running
a free operating system and living in freedom, they offer you an
opportunity to part with your freedom.

    In fact, I believe that one of the things about the "Open Source" movement
    that scares (or repels) Stallman the most is the fact that is indeed, to
    some degree, a synthesis between the philosophy of free software, and the
    philosophies behind proprietary software.

It both repels and worries me, and Nadav is right about the reason.
The open source movement cites the same basic values that proprietary
software developers cite: making software "better" (in a narrow
practical sense).  They say nothing about the value of freedom itself,
or of living an upright life.

If we cannot deliver good free software to do a certain job, perhaps
because a necessary idea is patented, or because the DMCA and similar
laws prohibit it, how will a user react?  If he has believed the open
source movement's claim that our methods make better software, he will
respond, "You failed to deliver on your claim.  You are wrong."  But
if he has learned the value of freedom from the free software
movement, he will say, "How dare they do this to us!"

If organizations decide that open source is technically advantageous,
they may still decide that the advantage of using a popular
proprietary package is greater.  But when they come to see non-free
software as a social problem that subjugates them and hurts the whole
society where it is used, they may make a point of helping society to
move away from it.

    [1] Stallman keeps referring to GNU as "we", but he never seems to mention
        anyone else who has written that software along with him. This was
        particularly strange when he referred to "the guy who wrote Hurd", and

Since I was talking mainly about the problems that arose in Hurd
development, I felt it was more polite not to name names.  In any
case, I take responsibility for the choice of overall architecture and
the choice of Mach as base, which are surely part of the cause of the
long delay.

The Hurd was started by Michael Bushnell (now Thomas Bushnell).  Miles
Bader and Roland McGrath also worked on it substantially.  Today
Marcus Brinkmann is a major contributor.