On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> Ira Abramov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > in the case of mutt it will pull pop3 but will not push via SMTP, it
> > insists on local injection and therefore takes away the option to
> > use a remote server
>
> Interesting, and rather odd, I'd say. Do they justify it in any way?
> Apart from being picky about their target audience, that is?

>From the mutt faq:

  You can't. Mutt is a MUA (Mail User Agent), not a MTA (Mail Transport
  Agent). Other email programs include MTA functionality but the Mutt way
  is to use the proper tool for each task, instead of making a giant program
  that does everything. In short, it's not Mutt's job to get the mail to a
  remote SMTP server.

  If your system does not have a properly configured MTA such as sendmail
  for Mutt to use, and you only need one to send all emails to a remote
  SMTP server for further delivery, then you can get sSMTP from
  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/mail/mta/ and install that. sSMTP
  is easy to set up but very minimalistic, so you might want to check out
  nullmailer at http://www.em.ca/~bruceg/nullmailer/ instead. nullmailer
  can  queue mails when the smarthost is down and then send them when it's
  up again.

>From my experince, pine's smtp handling is far from being perfect when the
network is not available. Other mailers (kmail, mozilla, outlook) keep an
"outgoing queue", which is rather confusing to users, and indeed a
replication of an MTA functionality.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]