On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> On Friday 31 January 2003 16:22, you wrote:
> > How can they?
> >
> > In pop3 you can
> >
> > * get a message
> > * delete a message
> >
> > "keep mail on server" basically means that the client does not order the
> > sever to delete those messages.
>
> The server can delete the messages the user fetched anyway, even if not
> directed to by a DELETE command. It might violate some RFC, but real life
> (the large number of users who simply mark 'Keep mail on server' without
> thinking of the consequences) requires it

this will cause user support problems from the other side - a user
connected, started downloading, got disconnected, and lost all their
email. (i.e. it is not transaction-based, and handling mail in a
non-transactional manner is a bad idea).

you might thus say 'we'll delete all messages only if we got the 'quit'
command from the client' - but this is not a good idea as well - what if
the client only downloaded some of the messages? so you need to keep track
of which messages from the mailbox were actually downloaded by the user.

> -- otherwise, lots of users'
> mailboxes would quickly grow to enormous sizes. The ISP can enforce mailbox
> size limits to solve this, but this way they'll hurt legitimate users (who
> expect a one-time large delivery or leave for a 2 week vacation) and increase
> complaints from the users who lightheartedly enabled the 'Keep mail on
> server' option.

actually, i don't remember ever seeing a problem with using 'keep mail on
server' to-date - except for configuration problems on the users' side.
can you name an ISP that added this odd feature to their pop server? or
rather, a pop server that supports this feature?

i did see 'mail box over quota' messages several times.

most ISPs limit the mail box to a given number. if a user goes on
vacation, then ask to enlarge their quota (for a fee) for the duration.
some ISPs give you different 'soft' and 'hard' quotas, so you can have a
larger mail box temporarily.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,