Sometimes on RH7.3 I would log on as an user.
logoff and log on as another and I would get the same message.
why? because the own of the device also changes to the last user using
it.
I do not why it does not change allways so
I run chmod 666 /dev/dsp
        chmod 666 /dev/mixer
and always work.

On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 09:17, Christoph Bugel wrote:
> On 2003-01-31  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > hello there ...
> > im running MDK ver 9 , and while trying to run an app i got this error msg :
> >

> > open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>
> /dev/dsp is the sound device driver. If some application uses it, another cannot
> use it at the same time, as far as I know. If you are running KDE, the kde
> itself is using it, so your app can't open the device directly. But you can try
> to run your application like this:
>
> $ artsdsp yourapp
>
> Or otherwise you kan kill the 'artsd' daemon ("killall artsd"), (but then KDE
> itself will not make sounds..)

        QOTD:
        I tried buying a goat instead of a lawn tractor; had to return
        it though.  Couldn't figure out a way to connect the snow blower.