On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hi Clan,
>
> I am trying to run a cron job to use the record command as follows:
>
> KDEDIR/bin/konsole -e /usr/bin/record -cv -t 00:15

why are you trying to run an X application from within cron? just tell it
to run the 'record' application directly, without the konsole, and see
what it does.

ofcourse, make sure 'record' records into a file, and a different file at
each run (unless you want each run to override the previous run).

note that yo need to make sure that the user running 'record' has access
to the /dev/dsp device (the sound device) no matter who is logged into the
console, and even if no one is logged into the console. by default,
distributions tend to set the ownership of /dev/dsp to the user that's
logged into the console, or to 'root' when no one is logged into the
console. you'll probably have to either change the group of the device and
add the user with the cron job to this group, or something else.

note also that you'll have problems with this because KDE 'takes over' the
/dev/dsp device, when it is running, and at that time, 'record' will
probably fail opening /dev/dsp - and will need to be run using the kde
program that simulates /dev/dsp for non-kde applications (i forgot this
program's name).

note that if your purpose is more limited, you might be able to get away
with doing only a small part of this setup - just remember that the
environment of a process running under 'crond', is not the same as that of
processes you run from within your console.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,