Nadav Har'El wrote:
On Sat, Feb 22, 2003, Oron Peled wrote about "Re: Problem with Pth or make or what?":

Obviously! This also point to a bad habbit:
        Daniel you have '.' in your path!!!

It's not necessarily a bad habbit... Once upon a time, this was considered
good practice for non-root users.

But calling your programs "test" is indeed a bad habbit :) I've seen more
than one person bit by this.

Another related issue. I hope nobody don't use '.' in your path
as root -- this is suicidal in terms of security.

You are scaring the newbies :)

This point also occurred to me - but then most newbies would be using a GUI like Gnome or KDE, so the issue would rarely if ever arise. It is really a commandline thing.

DAF

Let's make one thing clear: this advice comes from the days of multi-user Unix machines, not of personal Linux machines. In the scary scenario, a superuser might cd to some user's directory (hopefully for some legitimate reason), run "ls", and, lo and behold - the user might have a "ls" program in his own directory formatting the disk (or adding a backdoor, or whatever).

On a machine used by a single person, it doesn't matter what your path is.
If someone already cracked your machine to insert a program, he could probably
do whatever he wants anyway.