Quoth Alon Weinstein on Tue, Mar 04, 2003:
> Care to list the alternative options? I can guess Lyx for document creation,
> GIMP for image manipulation, but that's where my list ends. What are the
> options to perform other common tasks:
>
> -- Email & Organizer (an only-email client is no replacement for Outlook or
> Evolution)

Replacement for Outlook?  What are you talking about?  Some of us
used e-mail before Microsoft had an IP stack in their basic OS
distributions.

Organizers should run on PalmOS anyway ;)  Seriously though, it's
not a job of an MUA to organize files, it's not a browser's job
to read news, and the only reasonable mail + news reader in one
piece I ever heard of is Gnus.

> -- Spreadsheet

Why are people so obsessed with spreadsheets?  What do you use
them for?

> -- Presentations

TeX, as Muli said.

> -- File and web-browsing (i.e Windows Explorer/Konquerer/Galleon)

Netscape (or Mozilla) did *not* rip MSIE's interface, they both
ripped it from Mosaic.  You're forgetting that MS is a newcomer
on the Net.

> Those are the first things that pop to my head, I'm sure there are other
> areas in which most OSS alternatives are merely imitating MS's or any
> commercial vendor's products.

Sure.  And the usability of Windows programs is higher than that
of most competing Linux software.  But your claims that the only
thing OSS people can do WRT GUI is rip MS's interface make me
want to come over and rip KDE/Gnome from under your feet, so you
see real UNIX inside, however ugly it may be.

Vadik.

--
Fifth Law of Applied Terror:
        If you are given an open-book exam, you will forget your book.