I believe that pstopnm just calls ghostscript - you can call ghostscript
yourself.

I think a call to ghostscript something like:

gs -q -sDEVICE=pnm -sOUTPUTFILE=-

with quiet requested Bmay do what you want.

Jason

Jason Friedman
Ph.D. Student
Department of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel.
Home page: http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~jason