On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 10:19:32PM +0300, shlomo solomon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is probably LINUX related, but I'm not 100% sure. Today, I asked my ADSL
> provider (Israsrv) for a permanent IP address. After the help-desk set it up
> for me, I was no longer able to do anything on the internet. To verify that
> the IP address was the problem, I had the help-desk return me to a dynamic
> address, and everything is back to normal.
>
> Here are the symptoms I had:
> 1 - I connected and could ping, but packet loss was about 70%

  I don't know about ADSL specifics but there are some routine tests
which probably need to carried out:

  1. If there is a firewall, have you fully adopted it to the new
     situation?
  2. What is the output of route?
  3. Are there messages in the log about the IP of the ISP machine that
     is next to you?
  4. Have you tried to traceroute to some of the ISP machines? As far as
     I remember from my israsrv experience, the sysadmin, not the support
         desk, might need to set up some things which he forgot. Actually,
         the best advise might be to talk with the sysadmin. I believe this
         is Ronen who is also the son of the owner.

> 2 - When pinging a URL like www.iglu.org.il (and not a numerical IP address) I
> got no reaction at all (possible DNS problem, but I had no DNS problems with
> the dynamic address)

  Most probably a DNS problem.

> 3 - I couldn't reach anything with Mozilla (possibly same problem as #2)

  I would try with numerical IPs. I would also try numerical IPs for
  servers inside the israsrv network, like 192.115.3.200 ==
  www.israsrv.net.il.

> Let me just say that I made no changes to my connecting script or firewall.
> Should I have changed something to work with a permanent IP address?

  The gateway in the routing table comes to mind as to something that
should been changed. I don't know if your scripts are clever enough to
do that by themselves.

> The help-desk was unable to help (aside from returning me to a dynamic
> address). I hope to speak to someone more knowlegeable tommorrow, but in the
> meantime, I'd like to know if someone on the list has had this problem.
>
> TIA
> --
> Shlomo Solomon
> http://come.to/shlomo.solomon
> Sent by KMail (KDE 3.0.5a) on LINUX Mandrake 9.0

    Shaul Karl, [EMAIL PROTECTED] e t