On my system (RedHat 9):

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.20-8 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST
2003

# hdparm -d /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

When I did ``cat /dev/zero > junk``, the system did become
half-irresponsive (not critically).  Since DMA is already on, is there
any point in upgrading the kernel?

Another question: "fork bomb"s.  I think this was much worse a few
years ago but still, when I do::

    perl -e 'for $i (1..15) { fork(); }'

the system gets completely stuck for a few seconds.  Increasing the
number increases the stuck time.  Isn't a unix suppossed to protect
users from such DOS attacks in some way (just checked, executing it
from another user has exactly the same effect)?

Perhaps it does: curiously enough, after doing this a dozen times, it
seems that linux has "learnt" the trick: I can now fork 2^20 times
with no effect!  Can someone enlighten me what goes on?

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>