On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:07:18AM +0300, guy keren wrote:

> On 17 Jul 2003, Micha Feigin wrote:
>
> > I try to connect to a remote computer using ssh and then tunnel the ftp
> > connection back to by computer using
> >
> > ssh -R 1234:<local machine>:21 ...
>
> why do you expect to be able to tunnet 'ftp' like that? ftp sends only
> commands via port 21. data is sent via a seperate connection (data is both
> the output of 'ls', and files you transfer with 'get' or 'put').
>
> it looks like you _might_ be able to do what you wanted, _if_ your could
> force the 'data' port to always be the same port on the remote machine,
> and then tunnel that port too via ssh. if this is possible, perhaps
> someone on the list can show us how to do that.

However IIRC there is no inherent limitation in the ssh protocol for
starting tunnels on the fly.

I vaugly recall that mindterm had a feature of "on-the-fly" creation of
ssh tunnels for ftp connections. Though in their page I only see an "ftp
proxy" mentioned:

  http://www.mindbright.se/mindterm/techspec.php

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+