> I am looking for a way to turn on and off electrical appliance (220V)
> from a computer program.
> does anyone know where I can get a power switch with some interface to a
> computer
> (serial/parallel/usb/scsi/pci card/whatever)
> of course, I need it work under linux.

There is a project at sourceforge that works with home automation, to do
this sort of thing. it is called misterhouse (it runs on perl, in linux
and windows). I have played around with it a little.

http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/

As for the hardware side of things, there is a standard protocol called
X-10, which communicates through the power lines in your house. you can
then plug in switches, lights sockets, etc. it is possible to buy x-10
interfaces to the computer (usually via the serial port) to send x-10
signals at the appropriate times.

I know of two companies in europe that
sell 230V
equipment (but I haven't ordered from either of them so have no
reccomendations):

http://www.intellihome.be

www.laser.com

and one in israel (again no experience with them):

www.plonter.co.il

(look for x-10)

A much simpler (and cheaper) do-it-yourself solution is to build a switch
from your parallel port. details at in the Home-Electrical-Control HOWTO

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Home-Electrical-Control/index.html

(again i haven't built one of these either but plan to)

Jason