On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:30:12PM +0300, Oded Arbel wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2003 19:00, Sagi Bashari wrote:
> > >1) Hebrew pages are sent as "western" encoding...
> > >the text is right but for some reason the browser sets itself to "western"
> > >instead of Hebrew.
> > >if I set it to "Hebrew" its fine (until I refresh or click a link).
>

> > Just comment the default encoding in httpd.conf to make it use the meta
> > tag in your files. HTML headers have higher priority than meta tags.
>
> This is not correct - HTML meta tags override HTTP headers, as they are a
> higher level of abstraction and convey a knowledge the lower level cannot
> have, of the content of the transmission.

You are right in your rationale. It is the standard that is broken:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#h-5.2.2

  1. An HTTP "charset" parameter in a "Content-Type" field.
  2. A META declaration with "http-equiv" set to "Content-Type"
     and a value set for "charset".
  3. The charset attribute set on an element that designates an
     external resource.

> I know there are some broken browsers (no names) which for some weird
> combination of settings disregard HTML meta tags in favor of headers, but
> this is hardly the norm, nor the standard.

Mozilla?

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+