Quoting Nadav Har'El <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Unfortunately, I'm getting similar complaints about Hspell, from people
> who think that supporting their favorite software is "very important and
> very urgent" but not willing to lift a finger to do this work. Counter-
> intuitively, the complaint-stream seems to become stronger the better Hspell
> becomes.
> It seems that we, as a community, have not yet internalized the concept
> of free software.

This may be true for HSpell, but I wouldn't bundle a free set of fonts in the
same basket as free software. For one, the majority of the free software
community is made of programmers. It's quite legitimate to demand from
programmers to program. However, I personally have no expertise in fonts, other
than using conversion programs and hoping they would work properly. I know there
are outlines. I know there are hints that are supposed to help them look well in
low resolutions. I have no idea how this works in practice, nor am I familiar
with tools that do the job (in programming, hey, there's vim, gcc, make, cvs,
problem solved).

So, while most of us are really in need of fonts, people like me can't do much
to help with them.

This is not unique only to free software vs fonts. Think - there are a lot of
shareware out there. Excellent programs, I have paid for many of them in my life
out of respect to the author's hard work and their usefullness to me. Now, do
you know a lot of shareware fonts? Ones that are actually good and follow
standards? Hardly.

Herouth