I'm breaking my head trying to understand what exacty the glibc locale does?
It seems like it sets some global encoding flag.
Doing ls in a directory with Hebrew filenames gives me gibrish(yes the console
font and encoding is set correctly), but after setting LC_ALL="he_IL" ls will
show me the filenames correctly.

My problem is that when LC_ALL is set to "he_IL" many programs will output
Hebrew text (for example date). I want to be able to view and write hebrew,
while the default language is English.

        -Amir.