Omer Zak wrote on 2003-08-13:

> In my opinion, if the other guy released his expression under GPL,
> then the argument is moot.  shtirlitz could take the other guy's
> stuff, reinstate his (shtirlitz's) credit and release a X.(Y+1)
> version with all credits.

IANAL but I believe it's impossible to say whether shtirlitz shares
copyright for the translated library without examining the sources.
Since both libraries are GPL, there is nothing to gain by avoiding the
derived work status, so I'd guess he helped himself to anough parts of
the original ;-).

However, the important question is not whether he deleted stirlitz's
copyright notice but whether he omitted him from the credits.
Technically, all non-trivial contributors share the copyright, so FOSS
projects normally have constantly growing copyright lists [2]_.  I've
never seen projects who actually write out the list in the copyright
header - normally it's constrained to a couple of names and the
credits list somewhere in the documentain is the real record.
Informally it's understood that all people in the credits list share
the copyright [2]_.  Now, denying people their part in the credit
list, that would be a really ugly deed.  Is that the case here?

. [1] There are some projects who don't have growing copyright lists,
   because all contributors explicitly assign the copyright to some
   central authority, like the FSF.  The benefits of this model are
   mainly theoretical, IMHO.

. [2] This fact is widely acknowledged, mainly in its consequence
   that you practically can't change a project's license once you get
   many conributions, because you need to get permission from all of
   them.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>