Nadav Har'El wrote on 2003-08-19:

> Richard Stallman just said something about this issue in an interview in
> "open for business" (whatever that is...). See
>       http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=260
>
> A relevant partial quote:
>
> Q: ... MandrakeSoft's Multi-Network Firewall is based on entirely Free
>  Software, however the Mandrake branding itself is placed under a more
>  restrictive license (you can't redistribute it for a fee). This give the
>  user or consultant two choices -- use the software under the more
>  restrictive licensing or remove the Mandrake artwork. What are your
>  thoughts on this type or approach?
>
> RMS: I think it is legitimate. Freedom to redistribute and change software
>  is a human right that must be protected, but the commercial use of a logo
>  is a very different matter. Provided that removing the logo from the
>  software is easy to do in practice, the requirement to pay for use of the
>  logo does not stain the free status of the software itself.

If it's legitimate, I guess it's time for a "<something> is not Red
Hat" distro (but probably under a name that doesn't include "Red
Hat").  Is there such brandotomized version of RH anywhere for
download?

RMS' note only says it's legitimate in proncople but doesn't answer
two technical details:

1. Red Hat want us to not even mention it's based on them.  I want a
   legitimate way to give them credit.  If the world agrees on a
   single name for the "is not Red Hat" distro, and everybody will
   know it's origin, this problem goes away.

2. Red Hat files say the distro as a collective work is licensed under
   the GPL.  Is it legal for them to distribute ISO images including
   logos that you are not allowed to freely redistribute?  Do the ISO
   images fall under GPL's definition of binaries?  Are they subject
   to the excempt for "mere aggregation"?

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>