David Harel wrote on 2003-09-21:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I got some disk errors:
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 3462718
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=4566479,
> sector=3462719

Sounds familiar.  I got similar errors when my disk started failing. I
recommend to download http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ which can
read the S.M.A.R.T. data on your disk to get some details on your disk
state and understand how close it is to failure.  Play around with
smartctl, in particular try ``smartctl -a``.  You might need to do
``smartctl -e`` to enable data collection first.  These tools will
also give you early warning for your next disks...

P.S. I was able to read the disk perfectly and copy all data onto
another disk when it was cool; it gave the errors when it got hot. You
might want to try turning off the computer, letting it cool down and
checking whether you can read shortly after that.

P^2.S. If you happended to be at August Penguin and got a LNX-BBC
disk, it's supposed to cantain smartmontools.  This would be handy if
your disk loses some critical sectors and you can't boot (in my case
it gave errors in one of the partition table links ;-( ).

P^3.S. Some recent BIOSes also show warnings at boot time when
S.M.A.R.T. indicates failure.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>