On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:49:47AM +0200, Noam Rathaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a few nice solutions, this is one of them, one thing missing, is
> that I am looking for a centralized solution that will not be Distro
> depened, or even OS deepened. It appears that at the moment there isn't one.

This isn't an issue is most countries. This isn't an issue in linux
system in Isreal now (maybe in the next years, if people go back to
insanity). Thus there are no "ready-made solutions" for it.
But it is not such a big task either.

 I vaugly recall someone from Brazil describing how they
handled this problem, which is probably more accute there.

It depends on what "solution" you use for managing all of your
worstations. Basically what you need here is to sync /etc/localtime .
On windows you need to update some registry values on all the computers.
TIMTOWTDI

Alternatively, you can test the compiled timezone file to see if it
needs updating:

   zdump -v /etc/localtime |grep 2003
   zdump /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Jerusalem |grep 2003

This will check if the latest updated is indeed good enough for you.

As for the approach of some admins of not updating the timezones at
workstations and "patch" the time servers instead: I sure hope they
realise how many things this breaks.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+