Quoth Muli Ben-Yehuda:

> Simplest, but it's also considered a fairly ugly hack :P

Ugly, yes. However, when you want performance and wish to avoid caching
(the latter Erez states and the first I interpolate, possibly wrongly)
and, self-admittedly, being much less conversant with optimization than
you ;-) - I suspect he would also want contiguity which, notwithstanding
the kmalloc call's availablity, is, under most real-life circumstances,
an ineffective mechanism vis-a-vis its inability to claim a significant
amount of memory, this being in use by the kernel itself and, therefore,
not available for use for any significant or interesting size, namely -
pretty much anything over a quarter meg, the latter number being the
kernel's limit in any case, as far as I remeber.

If you have parsed the above sentence, please suggest a more elegant
solution and a less inelegant hack.

And yes - it is a hack, but an effective one.

> physical memory non cached is fairly architecture dependant, AFAIK.

I assume x86, which may be wrong. Erez?

ObLanguage - Ah - verbal contortions. I seem to be the Sir Humphrey of
Linux IL.

--
---OFCNL
    This is MY list. This list belongs to ME! I will flame anyone I want.