IMHO you should compile DRM and RADEON as modules so you will be able to load fglrx(ati proprietry module)
instead of kernels RADEON drm module In that way you will be able to compare the two drivers.
Just don't forget to make the apropriate changes to your XF86Config-4.
("radeon" driver to use dri.sf.net version, "fglrx" to use ATI's version)

compare the two and use the best.
My 9600pro card is not supported by dri.sf.net drivers so i have to use the proprietry one

I don't know about your card but you should also consider the TV-out issue (is it supported in dir.sf.net implementation?)
in any case as soon as you have "Direct Rendering: Yes" in glxinfo - you got the job done.

FrameBuffer don't have anything to do with this.

regards.
Boris.
ps: i just don't like tainted kernels .... feels wrong somehow.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Just some questions to clear up what you write below:

Boris Ratner wrote:

0. Radeon 9000 (imho) IS supported by http://dri.sf.net check it out - they have a whole XFree86-dri server tree
for debian sid with all of the drivers inside. (you don't have to recompile your kernel at all if this works)
dri.sf.net drivers DO use native kernel radeon drm module.

So this is your recommanded solution?
If I take this suggestion then I should install a kernel WITH
AGP support and WITHOUT DRM support at ALL? (My current kernel has
DRM support enabled and the RADEON DRM support:

#
# DRM 4.1 drivers
#
CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
# CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set

I also have frame buffer support:

CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m
)

ATI's proprietry drivers DO NOT SUPPORT kernel native radeon drm drivers!!!!
1. compile your kernel withOUT drm support at all ( or as modules but do not load those)

OK, that (1) probably explains the error message I got, right?
I though that I turned the CONFIG_DRM_RADEON to "m" in another kernel
compilation but it looks now like what I actually did was to change
CONFIG_FB_RADEON from "y" to "m" and left CONFIG_DRM_RADEON="y" in
both kernels.

2. compile your kernel WITH agpart.
3. then install ATI's module into the kernel ( you better recompile it before that)

What do you mean by that?  I installed the packages mentioned in my
original question and compiled the kernel and modules, then installed
the generated .deb files.

4. curse William Gates.
5. run glxinfo to check for "direct rendering: YES"
6. make count 0 work don't taint your kernel for no reason.

What do you mean in (6)? That (0) is the best way to take advantage
of my hardware?

regards Boris.

Thanks.

See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
/lib/modules/2.4.22-dri/misc/fglrx.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.22-dri/misc/fglrx.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-dri/misc/fglrx.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22-dri/misc/fglrx.o: insmod fglrx failed

Thanks,

--Amos