On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 09:01:55AM +0200, Shai Bentin wrote:
>
> > Here's the whole story. I have a java application which needs to start from
> > the directory where it is as a working directory. The problem is that this
> > application can be installed by the user anywhere on his system. So I need a
> > way to start the application from the diectory it was saved in. In windows
> > for example I can create a shortcut with a working directory, in Linux I
> > don't know? One way is to use a script which I ask the user to set the
> > working directory by him self. My question is if there are other ways to do
> > it?
>
> untested, but should work, modulu error handling:
>
> APP=`which app`
> DIR=`dirname $APP`
> cd $DIR && echo $DIR && $APP

Unfortunately fails almost all the time, unless APP is something
like X or Java or some huge other thing that has its own share in
$PATH.  Otherwise, perhaps you are trying a symlink is a public
bin directory (/usr/bin) which points to your own bin
(/usr/MyApp/bin).  I probably would suggest (and actually use)
this one:

APP="myApp"
BASEAPP=`\which "$APP" 2>/dev/null`
BASEAPP=`readlink -f "$APP"`
DIR=`dirname "$BASEAPP"`
[ -n "$DIR" ] && cd "$DIR"
"$APP"

The backslash before app better be there (try which ls).
[coded over-protectively]