On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Noam Rathaus wrote:

hi Noam!
it is great you've brought up the subject,
and if u find more info on what exactly was there,
please post it on here.

and there is always a danger that some malicious submitter submits a
package to rpm/deb/tgz database with a trojan. as well as microsoft update with
another trojan ... so what is the idea of adding the sentense after "how
far was it from ...." i guess it was not far.

but let us not become populists :)

it is known to any security professional: information security is a matter
of risks vs. resources vs. chances considerations. so there is always
a chance that even your compiler adds to any of your programs with
<socket.h>
additional little binary tcp server that spawns only at certain twilight
hours :) and it is close.
how often do you dissassemble your compiled code ?

just fyi: security.debian.org was never compromised until now.
and the only time it was down - was because the building it was in
caught fire.

Thanks.
Max.