On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 23:17, Shlomo Solomon wrote:

<snip>

> In fact, I had ruled out a DNS problem earlier because the Win98s could reach
> most URLs with no problem and there were only a few problematical URLs. I
> still don't understand this. I would have thought that if the DNS server was
> not funtioning, all translations would not work. I guess I was wrong about
> that. But, in any case, that's not really on topic, since I now know that the
> problem was not LINUX.

Some ISPs mirror major websites and their DNS returns to their client
the IP address of the nearest mirror server. Not sure, but access to
those mirrors might be restricted based on the originating IP address
(value added service only to the ISP's client). This might explain the
different IP addresses you got from DNS.

Guy