From: Oron Peled <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:52:54 +0200
Subject: Re: MSN messanger for linux and linux compatible webcam

On Monday 01 December 2003 22:52, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

1. Where can I find a linux compatible webcam? How much is one expected to cost?

Logitech Quickcam Express (The USB model). The driver I use is at: http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/quickcam/qc-usb-0.5.1.tar.gz

(Used on version 8.0 of the "name-forbidden-to-use-distro" :-)

Logitech QuickCam 3000 or 4000 - these are the best, open source module is built in on any distributions (thats the "pwc" kernel module), good microphone built in..

2. Is there a Linux MSN messanger client that supports the new features? In particular, the voice and camera connection?

The upcoming Kopete 0.8 will, but thats far in the roadmap ;)

Not that I know of. Talk all your Windows friends to use NetMeeting which
interoperates with GnomeMeeting. You can hint them that NetMeeting
(just like GnomeMeeting) has more control than MSN on the picure size
and position (e.g: your image as a separate window -- I think they added
that only in the latest MSN release).

6.1 still doesn't have it yet.

On the same thread. Anybody used NetMeeting and/or GnomeMeeting
over NAT? I'm trying to avoid running some proxy on the firewall/NAT
machine itself. Last time I tested (very short test), it negotiated the
session with the other side (I could see the address/name of the
NetMeeting partner, and they could see my address), but no video
data was passed. Any hint from someone who actually use this
would be helpfull.

Well, I used GnomeMeeting few days ago. They have a simple script to let you forward some ports (NetMeeting uses tons of ports), and you'll need to register to their ILS server in order to connect from inside your firewall to the outside world, or vice versa. Works pretty well (although no text chat, no file up/downloading support, and no white board - too bad, all those features are fully open protocols)..

Works pretty nice..

Hetz

---------- Your email is protected by Mailshell ---------- To block spam or change delivery options: http://www.mailshell.com/control.html?a=blshp8b9gc0rxhgk_srox_llfpptvypmvy7j

ReturnPath.net http://rd.mailshell.com/ad481
Earn up to $3 for each of your friends who signs up with Mailshell!
http://rd.mailshell.com/sp5